Monday, November 1, 2010

A Bit of a Let-Down

I love Halloween!  I've always loved Halloween.  When I was a kid, before people felt like they had to be politically correct and change it to Harvest time, we dressed up in our costumes for parties at school and paraded around the neighborhood before coming back to the classroom for candy, cupcakes and bobbing for apples.  We usually made our costumes.  My mom sewed a clown costume out of flannel, which doubled as pajamas, one year.

I love Trick-or-Treating!  I've always loved it.  And when I was doing it, we got apples and home-made popcorn balls - the good stuff!  Even when my kids were little we went trick-or-treating. We've always lived in suburban neighborhoods near schools where lots of kids live.  Yet somehow, every year the number of trick-or-treaters has dwindled.  I was interrupted less than 10 times last night.  My house was lit.  It was decorated with ghost luminaries and a strobing jack-o-lantern.  So where were all the kids?

I know there are "alternative" parties - Trunk-or-Treating, Harvest Parties - but are there really THAT many alternatives that traditional trick-or-treating is obsolete now?  As an adult the traditional way is still my favorite.  I love oohing at the scary costumes and awing the sweet toddlers who are experiencing their first times.  There wasn't much of that last night.

So next year I'll still decorate, and I'll still buy candy.  And we'll just see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment